Thursday, August 23, 2007

Magical Swords that Work

I read Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews not too long ago, and while I wasn't peering at every page for some sort of mistake, I do know that nothing leap off of the page and screamed that it was a stupid idea with enough frosting to make it look cool.

I liked Kate's sword, and the world building is very interesting. It made me want to go to Atlanta and compare with this new world.

It is fine to take real weapons and change them to suit your needs. Make them magical. Make them different, because your world is different. But if you've done any research on the real thing, then even if you never directly use any of that research, it shows in your writing, and it makes the read more enjoyable.

When I looked this up on Amazon, I saw a second book in the series, and I was briefly excited. Then I saw that it's not out until March so, sadly, I still have to wait.

No comments: