Monday, August 13, 2007

Why I'm Here

This blog is here because, when I searched for a writer's guide to weapons, I was terribly disappointed when the one I found featured only information on firearms.

The book in question is Armed and Dangerous: A Writer's Guide to Weapons from the Howdunit Series. Now, I adore the Howdunit series, and a nice list of all of them can be found right here.
They've proven to be an invaluable resource, and I recommend them whole-heartedly.

The problem is that they're mostly focused towards mystery writers, and I've spent most of my time writing fantasy. The weapons needs in an alternate, pre-industrial world, be it this one or a completely new one, are very different from a mystery set in modern times. There are panels at conventions about the realistic use of swords and other less modern arms, and the information is out there to be had. But, in the same spirit as the Howdunit series and other writer's guides, why shouldn't the information be available in one easy to access place that isn't bogged down in jargon, or that assumes an already well-informed audience, instead of a smart audience ready to learn who still might need some of the basics?

I come from a somewhat privileged background when it comes to antique and archaic weapons and other knowledge: I was raised by an herbalist and a blacksmith. When I was six years old and obsessed with ElfQuest and wanted to be an elf, my dad made me a spear. He went out to his forge and he made a real spear head from high carbon steel, and he fixed it to a good shaft, and he let me loose after I promised not to stab the dogs, my brother, or any of the neighbors.

I wanted to know why he'd think I'd stab the dogs.

It's from him that I've gotten most of my knowledge of arms and armor. I grew up handling hand-made knives and swords, and when I needed a hatchet, I asked if he could make one for me. He's always been eager to share his knowledge, and if he didn't have an answer, he either knew where to find it, or could find out. He was always supportive in ways that I suspect made friends and family deeply nervous--who in their right mind gives his daughter an instruction book when she mentions wanting to know how to pick locks? When I stated an interest in poisons, he gave me my first Howdunit book, Deadly Doses. And when I wanted to know how to tie a noose, he got me rope that couldn't hold my weight (just in case) and taught me how.

With the basics he gave me, I started taking the steps into my own research and began building my own body of knowledge.

So when I complained about this to my father, he just looked at me and asked, "Why don't you just write it?"

Naturally, he couldn't let it end with the suggestion, and has been extremely supportive and helpful since then. Other people have expressed an interest, so here I find myself.

I hope this comes in useful to someone somewhere. If it's good for just one person, I know I'll have done everything I wanted to do.

7 comments:

BobG said...

Sounds like an interesting project. As someone who has dabbled in metalwork and martial arts, I have noticed that a lot of fiction writers could use some education on both firearms and other types of weaponry.

Pamela Morgan said...

I agree with your father; you should write this book.

Good luck.

Noddy said...

You don't need a Ph.D. in weaponry to qualify to write this book. Citing your sources (your father as a professional blacksmith, your grandfather as a law enforcement officer, the fact that you've worked at the forge, and handled these weapons personally, the professionals you know through attending and working the craft and gunshows, and renaissance faires, the research you've done, the history you know...) will provide all the credentials you will need. Be diligent about citing them, and that will be your credentialing.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great book for you to be writing! I'd love to have a reference book for this information.

Firehand said...

I didn't think you'd stab the dogs, I was worried you'd throw and they'd run into the way.

Sometimes they weren't all that smart.

penpusher said...

This is actually a useful tool. Good idea! Best of luck with it.

Anonymous said...

You don't find many ElfQuest fans, or even people who've heard of it, these days.
This sounds like a worthy project, I shall keep an eye on it.